$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
In today’s face-paced work environment, multi-tasking is the norm and employers tend to hold their workers to higher standards at all levels. Whether you are part of the corporate world, retail, do hard labor, make art, teach school, have a state job or any of the thousands of jobs out there, work can become stressful for everyone at some point.
So what happens when every day starts to feel like a challenge ... when those times between vacations and days off begin to feel eternal and unbearable? When work burnout hits, those feelings of dissatisfaction and boredom can make it difficult to get out of bed and face the day.
What Exactly Is Work Burnout?
Hating your job doesn’t mean you’re burned out if you never really liked it from the start. Burnout is what happens when prolonged stress causes you to lose the motivation that initially led you to take the position. That loss of inspiration due to mental and emotional exhaustion is the burnout, and it can deplete your energy leaving you feeling exhausted.
Naturally, enthusiasm for anything, even projects you’re extremely passionate about, will have some ebb and flow. The danger of burnout is that it can make you want to give up, even on things you care about deeply. Luckily, while it’s not always possible to avoid burnout, beating the worst of it is much easier than you may realize.
Avoid Negative Coworkers
Negativity in the workplace is one of the top reasons people experience burnout. Negative thoughts can poison your perceptions about your job, your coworkers and even your own performance. Some negativity like dealing with the occasional pushy customer or client can’t be avoided. Other sources of negativity though like pointless chatter from workplace gossip can be avoided.
Negative coworkers simply drain energy. They contribute to burnout by magnifying any stress or negative thoughts you have with endless complaining. Avoid them whenever you can. When you can’t avoid them, remind yourself that their negativity is their problem, not yours. Focus on positive thinking and spend your time around more positive coworkers instead.
Relax During Time Off
The amount of pressure you experience at your job depends on a variety of factors. High-stakes, fast-paced jobs often mean higher stress levels. No job is without a certain amount of stress, no matter how minimal. If you allow that stress to leak into the rest of your life, you’ll experience burnout much faster. It is crucial to learn how to relax during any time off.
Leaving that stress behind once you’re off the clock can take work. Train yourself to put off what can wait until tomorrow and don’t feel guilty about it. Remind yourself that you spend the majority of your waking hours at work anyway. Your time off is sacred. It is your time to unwind, reset and enjoy the other aspects of your life. Guarding it will help keep you in the right mental, emotional and physical state to handle workplace stress.
Learn To Set Boundaries
Burnout can come from work overload, especially when you feel like your effort is going unnoticed. Do you work a lot of overtime, with or without pay? Are you constantly volunteering to take on additional responsibilities, or do you simply have a problem saying no? Learning to set boundaries, both internal and external, can help fight off workplace burnout that comes from feeling overwhelmed and underappreciated.
Setting boundaries means learning how to balance your work and other areas of your life. Don’t let your job consume you, even if your work is your passion. It is also important to set boundaries with coworkers who try to pass off work onto you. Finally, learn to say no to superiors when they’re taking advantage of your goodwill or failing to see how full your plate already is.
Ask For What You Deserve
Many men and women begin a career filled with passion and hopes for the future, only to end up experiencing burnout when they don’t end up quite where they envisioned. If you’re striving for something more at work like a higher position, better pay, more respect or more autonomy, and you’re not getting it, it’s easy to feel undervalued and frustrated.
Before you succumb to burnout and potentially give up, why not ask for what you deserve? Consider your workplace accomplishments. Be honest with yourself. If you truly feel that you are being undervalued or overlooked, speak up about it. If you do speak up and don’t get the answer you want, at least you know where you stand. Perhaps it’s time to go somewhere where your effort will not be overlooked.
Set Professional Goals
When you don’t feel like things are moving forward, it becomes more and more difficult to feel excited about something. This holds true for personal relationships and for work as well. Stagnation in the workplace can rapidly lead to feelings of burnout. However, this source of workplace burnout can be easily conquered by learning to set professional goals for yourself.
Setting career goals gives you something to work towards and something to look forward to. While long-term goals can help you envision where you want to be, it is the short-term goals that can best help you to combat workplace burnout. Short term goals create momentum and can lead to more immediate gratification.
Consider Switching Careers
Work burnout can make you question whether or not you want to keep going at all. It can make you lose confidence in your own abilities. Usually, when you’re experiencing burnout, this doubt comes from external factors. Pressure and negativity from the outside can temporarily knock you off your game. Far less often, burnout comes when you are truly over something. The trick is telling the difference between temporary burnout, which everyone experiences, and the kind of burnout that means it is time to move on.
When you’ve reached the point where your dreams for the future conflict with your current career path, it is time to consider switching paths. If your bad days are turning into bad weeks and months, these long-lasting feelings of dissatisfaction could be a sign. It might be your way of telling yourself that your needs and wants have shifted and that your passion now lies elsewhere.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know